Antonio Davis staying with the Raptors!

winnerpegger

From TSN.... could Carter be far behind??

Davis staying with Raptors
(Jul 11) TORONTO (CP) - The Toronto Raptors have come to terms with Antonio Davis, keeping the veteran forward in the fold with a five-year deal, agent Bill Duffy confirmed Wednesday.

The agreement, which cannot be officially announced until July 18 because of NBA rules, is worth "in excess of $60 million," according to Duffy. The six-foot-nine forward had been wooed by the Orlando Magic and Chicago Bulls, among others.

He owns a house in Orlando but the Magic did not have the room under the salary cap to match Toronto.

"The Raptors did a heck of a job," Duffy said in announcing the agreement during a conference call.

The 33-year-old was a force for the Raptors in the playoffs, despite being hampered by an injured arm.

Davis spent six seasons with Indiana before coming to Toronto in a deal prior to the 1999-00 campaign for the rights to forward Jonathan Bender.

Keeping Davis is huge for a franchise that has been unable to hang on to such stars as Damon Stoudamire and Tracy McGrady or attract big-name free agents north of the border.

"I guess this is going to help them get over this stigma," said Duffy.

DAPONTE

THIS IS GREAT NEWS NOT ONLY FOR THE RAPTORS BUT THE NBA. Grunwald has done a great job with this team I met Grunwald a couple of days before the dratf, big guy, anway I spoke to him breifly and he actualy answered my questions, he said he was gonna do what ever he could to keep this team together, and to improve it.

I would have turned my back on the Raps and the NBA if guys like Davis were just gonna keep walking out, it makes no sense to me why anyone would leave a good team, who could win somethin some day to go to a Bulls team that is far from winnin anything. I understand and respect guys wanting to control their own situations, I mean I would not relocate to far away from my family but if the posibility if great succes would be the result I'd go and come back when I was finished.
Sorry for ramblin on I really excited, I hope Vince stays too!! and the Raps can build a championship team.

AH goldenboy what are you doin to me that possiblity never crossed my mind.

[This message has been edited by DAPONTE (edited 07-11-2001).]

Joe C

I'm glad Davis is staying,I have to believe there was no chance he was going to the Bulls
not at this stage in his career,thanks WP for the post.

Phil Margonis

I hear this might be a sign and trade. Either way the Raps look good though. Before they would have lost him for nothing... now even if they trade him they'll get quality player(s) in return. Another good move by Grunwald.