CFL-anybody have an early opinions or thoughts?

Joe C

I know the CFL season starts next week,so far
I haven't had a chance to watch exhibition
games or read up on injuries or transactions,
any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated
as I'm just getting back into the swing of things and haven't done my homework yet,Thanks.

winnerpegger

Hey Joe! Here's my prelim. thoughts on week 1:

WEEK 1

Wed Jul 4 Montreal at Toronto
Alloettes still the team in the league IMO! Toronto has injuries on D as well I think their defense coach was in the US coaching in Arena football. I didn't like Bell here. He is more interested in his stats then that TD count!! In time Toronto will be good but for now Montreal in a walk.

Wed Jul 4 Winnipeg at Calgary
I like that big monster we got out of Calgary on D ... Doug Brown I think his name is. Jones will be that much better with Blount & Mills in the backfield. I'm not sure who Caalgary's QB is, but when Dickenson got hurt last year, they were a very ordinary team ... my guess is even moreso this year without him or Pitts. WPG will prob. be plus points. I wouldn't be surprised if they won this one outright!

Fri Jul 6 Hamilton at Saskatchewan
Poor Saskatchewan. I don't think they'll ever not be rebuilding. Mcmanus should have no trouble here.

Sat Jul 7 Edmonton at B.C.
I don't know what the feeling is with Matthews gone a week or so now, but I'll still take Damen Allen over Nealon Greene esp. without a motivator like Matthews behind Greene.

In terms of O/U's, montreal/Toronto will be the highest scoring game IMO!

Once the lines come out and the final rosters are announced I'll come back and edit this post!!!

ukie

Great write up pegger', I'm really interested
to see the lines next week. Montreal has got
to be the early best bet. I've got a feeling
Sask might give TiCats a game next Friday.

Bobby_Margonis

Nice thread, Im gettin ready for some CFL too, And basically, Ill just share with you somethings that I heard. First of all, winnipegs has a strong offence this year with above average special teams, But there defence is absolute garbage, so look for the over in a lot of there games this year with that combonation. Look for the Edmonton Eskimos to be at the bottom of the west this year. Look for saskatchewan to have a much better outing, and look for toronto to have the same problems it did last year. You know, maybe its just me, but is pinball really the best guy to give a coaching job. I mean, The guy looks like guy smiley, hes always happy! I saw him in a commercial telling about how his parents died when he was at an early age, and he's telling this sad story and hes STILL got that goofy smile on his face! I mean, dont coaches have to get mad at there players some time? It looks like hes gonna take him out for ice cream afterr every game they win! and hell, Ice cream when they lose just so they dont feel bad! Pinballs a great guy and all, but he's no coach, give him a job like the leafs gave wendel, make a job up and give it to him, if only out of respect. I mean, could you imagine clark coaching the leafs? They gotta find a new coach, and make pinball the good will ambassdor or something. But enough of my ramblings, thats all for now, Good Luck with the season, and lets go Allouttes!

Anteater

All i know is i'm lookin forward to visiting Winnipeg stadium in the summer instead of the god damn winter when my beer freezes before i get back to my seat.Only been there for Grey Cups and am moving to that damn mosquito country.Hopefully the beer kepts those bugs away.GO BIG BLUE!

[This message has been edited by Anteater (edited 06-28-2001).]

Joe C

Sunday at 12:00 eastern time,TSN is having a
show with info on the upcoming CFL season as well as some info on the NFL and NFL Europe if anybody is interested.

steelbag

Great posts everyone... I was at the Esks-Riders game on Wed and the locals are none too happy...
- Nealon Greene still looked confused and way too eager to run... it must be frustrating to be an Eskie receiver... if Greene does not show more patience we might see Dan Crowley -- that would make a few people happy 'round here
- Sean Fleming was brutal on FG's... hit 2 of 5 and looked visibly frustrated
- the team generally looks unsettled... the Don Matthews issue is not going away very quietly

The Riders looked pretty confident... aggressive, making things happen on 'D', some nice chemistry between QB and receivers from what I saw.

tackydrsrca

Great thread you guys!.....Lots of useful info here. Tabbys won the other night against Montreal. We had 16,000 in attendence at that game. Not to shabby for an exibition. With a good fan support base, I look to the Tabs to do really well this season.Its easier to pick to over unders when the weather is lousy, but I may take a few shots in the early season. Good luck to all.....................Tacky

steelbag

Great posts everyone... I was at the Esks-Riders game on Wed and the locals are none too happy...
- Nealon Greene still looked confused and way too eager to run... it must be frustrating to be an Eskie receiver... if Greene does not show more patience we might see Dan Crowley -- that would make a few people happy 'round here
- Sean Fleming was brutal on FG's... hit 2 of 5 and looked visibly frustrated
- the team generally looks unsettled... the Don Matthews issue is not going away very quietly

The Riders looked pretty confident... aggressive, making things happen on 'D', some nice chemistry between QB and receivers from what I saw.