SOCCER: Copa America schedule, lines, insight...

BigEd

Copa America, the South American Championships, kicks off Wednesday July 11th in Colombia. Here is the schedule and available lines for this week's games:

Group A:
July 11th - Colombia - Venezuela 7pm ET
(1.12 6.20 13.16)
Ecuador - Chile 9:45pm ET
(2.20 3.12 2.84)

Next games: July 14th: Chile - Venezuela (5:15pm); Colombia - Ecuador (7:30pm)
July 17th: Ecuador - Venezuela (7:30pm); Colombia - Chile (9:45pm).

Group B:
July 12th - Peru - Paraguay 6:30pm ET
(3.86 3.27 1.78)
Brazil - Mexico 8:45pm ET
(1.48 3.61 5.85)

Next games: July 15th: Brazil - Peru (5:00pm); Paraguay - Mexico (7:15pm)
July 18th: Peru - Mexico (6:30pm); Brazil - Paraguay (8:45pm).

Group C:
July 13th - Uruguay - Bolivia 7:00pm ET
(1.64 3.46 4.50 )
Honduras - Costa Rica 9:45pm ET
(no line available)

Next games: July 16th: Uruguay - Costa Rica (7:00pm); Honduras - Bolivia (9:15pm)
July 19th: Bolivia - Costa Rica (7:00pm); Honduras - Uruguay (9:15pm).

An almost impossible tournament to handicap. All teams are bringing "B" squads, except for Costa Rica (Honduras was only announced this evening and the squad is unknown to me). The big question is: is a Brazilian "B" squad still better than a Costa Rica "A" squad? Colombia as hosts and Brazil are likely to head all the way to the final. Our job is to find the value in the "underdogs" in individual match-ups. Teams to watch in my humble opinion are: Costa Rica, Ecuador and Mexico. My predicted order of finish in the group stage is as follows:

Group A: Colombia, Ecuador, Chile, Venezuela
Group B: Brazil, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru
Group C: Costa Rica, Uruguay, Honduras, Bolivia

All games will be televised live in Canada on TeleLatino (TLN); in the US, Galavision will have 16 games, while Univision will have the remaining 10 games.

Full schedule, standings and live scores (updated every 90 seconds during the games) available at www.socceraction.com/copaamerica.htm

Loooking forward to the insights of all the "soccer guys" on the board.

BigEd

THE WIZARD

As usual excellent info ED.I think ill watch a few games before i give out plays i feel are worth betting on.I still think that a guy on a B teams such as Brazil is better than an average starter on a team such as Peru.EX: Someone on the bench for Juventus is probably better than the average player starting on your average Serie A team.Then again to use your words.That's just my humble opinion!

BigEd

Just wanted to go on record and say that I placed a small bet on Ecuador this evening. I got 2.00 even.

They are one of my three teams to watch for a good price. Chile is in utter disarray these days and with Ecuador bringing a "semi-A" team compared to Chile, I will take the early risk.

Overall, I agree with you Wiz: these teams are basically all unknown commodities now and sitting on the sidelines for the first round may not be a bad idea. I just don't think that Ecuador will be any kind of a value play against Venezuela and if my research is any good, this was the time to strike.

BigEd

BigEd

CORRECTION: I somehow inverted the kickoff times above on tonight's games. Its Ecuador - Chile at 7pm followed by Colombia - Venezuela at 9:45pm.........sorry.

BigEd

BigEd

OUCH - Ecuador - Chile 1-4 Final. Ecuador's defense folded like a tent. No finishing up front for a midfield that really wasn't all that bad. Chile fought for every ball and deserve the win....

BigEd

THE WIZARD

Sorry about your lose ED! I watched the second half of the game and thought Chile was very agressive and hustled like crazy.Also ED,I just noticed that Olyimpic just put up lines for tomorrows Copa games.Looks like they will carry the tourney after all.