The Grey Cup

barryt

GREY CUP
Seems the Grey Cup is a week early this year. Usually the Sunday after US thanksgiving?
Opening line Sask -5 -220 Tot54

congrats to Ham for getting the upset to get to the Finals, but they inadvertently guaranteed the West wins the cup. According to my sloppy records,I'm up 3 units for the year so betting it all on Sask -5 1.91. After all Sask home field is worth at least 4 points. Definitely think this line goes higher.
54 Total looks awful LOW too.Thinking of betting Over 54 ,1 unit hoping it goes up to like 58 and hope for a middle.
Any stats out there about how the Home team does in the CUP ATS[ last year Tor smoked]

CanadianCoates

Haven't looked at it yet. Big Green tough at home. 2-0 this season vs Hamilton and 4-1 last 5. Under is 3-2
Watch the weather also as it WILL impact the game

CanadianCoates

Long range forecast has it clear and cool with gusty conditions up to 25-31km/h.
Big Green is going to be tough to beat at home.

meestermike

Very 'juicy' line as I see sp' books trying hard to balance their $$$. IMO Saskatchewan can and should be champs this year. Ticats are a good team and are deserving to be there. Past is history and playing outdoors on the big stage has the adrenaline pumping and it's all in or go home empty handed can show true fans who the champs are and why.
Action on the big game is great but I personally look for the fun stuff to play on and just enjoy our CFL championship.

jughead

Started another thread but hadn't seen this one. My play is on UNDER 54 and here’s what I got:

Ti-Cats vs. Roughriders (-5/-6 and O/U 54) at Mosaic Stadium, Taylor Field
Third-straight Grey Cup host to partake
Third Grey Cup appearance for the Roughriders in five years
Past two years the home team won by a double-digit margin (BC over Winnipeg 34-23; Toronto over Calgary 35-22)

Riders came into the playoffs with a 12-17-1 record ATS as home fave of -6 or less and I guess they pushed against BC in Round 1
Since 2010 they are 3-10-1 ATS in this spot.
This year they went 2-2 SU/ATS but Wk 19 against Edmonton should be taken out of the equation. It was mostly second teamers and they still only lost on a last minute punt return.

The Riders are 8-5 SU/ATS their last 13 home games against winning teams (Avg score: 26.5 to 20.4)

Cats are 5-23 SU in road games vs. the West (1-3 SU/ATS this year; they beat a bad EDM team)
HAM got blown out 37-0 in Riderville, Wk 4
Cats avg’d 27.1 PPG on the road and SSK led the league with 21.8 PPG allowed

The weather looks pretty good for late November in Regina and I think that favors the Riders. Don’t see the Cats having nearly the success they had in Toronto.

Gut says the Riders will win but I didn’t really want to lay the points now and the number probably gets bigger with age.

jughead

I see one of my books (5 Dimes) has dropped the total down to 53.5. They must be reading our thread!

barryt

this is why Im thinking over.."Past two years the home team won by a double-digit margin (BC over Winnipeg 34-23; Toronto over Calgary 35-22)

jughead

Both games were indoors. I don't know how Cats are gonna do against the league's stingiest D when it's a cool, clear prairie D and 800,000 wheat farmers are screaming at them.

I think Hamilton has something like three playoff wins in the past 12 years. Two of them were this month, too. Maybe good, maybe not.

Clipper

I'm going to wait until our full CFL contingent weigh in, but my early thoughts were the same as yours Barry. I see the Riders putting together a convincing win.

MP40

"800,000 wheat farmers" LOL Jug. That is way too funny. Keep in mind there's black gold in the prairies these days in addition to wheat. Anyway, in terms of the game, I think the Riders should pound the Ti-Cats, at least on paper. The intangible for me this week is how much control the players demonstrate on either side while they partake in the week's festivities. Saskatchewan has a couple of serious offenders that like to get out of control at times so I think their performance on Sunday is largely going to be a product of how they are managed during the week. I agree about the weather and the total although I was supriosed how many points the Lions and Riders put up last week and it was cold and windy. The West has outlcassed the East all season long IMHO so the Grey Cup should be no different. I thought the line would open at -6.5 though.

jughead

"800,000 wheat farmers" LOL Jug. That is way too funny. Keep in mind there's black gold in the prairies these days in addition to wheat. Anyway, in terms of the game, I think the Riders should pound the Ti-Cats, at least on paper. The intangible for me this week is how much control the players demonstrate on either side while they partake in the week's festivities. Saskatchewan has a couple of serious offenders that like to get out of control at times so I think their performance on Sunday is largely going to be a product of how they are managed during the week. I agree about the weather and the total although I was supriosed how many points the Lions and Riders put up last week and it was cold and windy. The West has outlcassed the East all season long IMHO so the Grey Cup should be no different. I thought the line would open at -6.5 though.
Farmers, rednecks... it's all good. You make a good point about the partiers, MP. Do CFL teams have curfews?

At least we don't have to worry about someone from the Riders O-line checking himself into a grain elevator for mental stress over being bullied by one of his team mates. Gawd, and then the guy on Washington who's crying about the ref that swore at him. What a joke. I hear this crap and wonder what the NFL is turning into. Murderers, rats, pu$$ies.

Sorry for the rant... back to capping and your point about the Western dominance.

The CFL’s western teams have had a winning record against the East (SU) every season since 2006. Overall since then the West is 143-90-2 SU (61.4%).

That’s 235 games and I kind of smiled when I saw the ATS record: 115-115-5

This season the West was 8-2 SU/ATS in the first five weeks but the books caught on. From Wk 6 out the West was only 9-13 ATS (40.9%).

Home teams (West) are slightly better than .500 ATS and home faves are just below .500 ATS.

Over/Under Note: Western HFs of -7 points or less are 34-20 O/U (63-percent) overall including a 27-14 O/U (66-percent) record from August on.

Even if you take the Lions (dome) out of the equation the record from August is 21-9 O/U 70-percent) and 9-2 O/U (82-percent) in Oct/Nov (for HFs of -7 or less).

The Riders played two home games against the East last October and final scores totalled 56 and 62 points.

MP40

Back on the Grey Cup train after just listening to a local radio show broadcasting from Regina. To answer your question Jug - each team mandates its own rules with regards to what their players do and how late they do it throughout the week. Love the ATS stat after 235 games.

In terms of the weather they're actually forecasting for a balmy -1 for Sunday, probably a lttle colder by kickoff but considering it's -24 in Regina today it's gonna be alot warmer come game time.

Another point for consideration is whether the coaching angle comes into play with Austin being a veteran at the Grey Cup both as a player and a coach. It's Corey Chamblin's first cup. Does this give Hamilton an edge?

The line is now Riders -6.5 just about everythwere and could move higher by game time. Still figuring out what to do.

AJ77

great info...really looking forward to the game this year. I played the Riders -6.5.

My only concern is if they don't handle the excitement of playing the Grey Cup in front of the home fans. But even if they are too "amped" up, that should burn off fairly quickly after opening kickoff and everyone gets a few hits.
I think the Rider edges on both sides of the ball will win out over the course of the four quarters.

Should be a good one.

CanadianCoates

Funny weather forecast
The stampede of fans heading to Regina for the 101st grey cup has begun. The cold weather this week came in like a lion, but will be a tabby by Sunday in comparison. There was a cold leadup to the 101st grey cup this week, but by game day the weather will not be giving anyone too rough a ride. For those who argoing to the game Sunday,
milder conditions are expected. Daytime highs are currently forecast to be minus 1 by mid afternoon. This is slightly above normal which for this time of year implies a high of minus 4 Celsius.

By kick off time however temperatures are expected to be closer to minus 3 falling to minus 7 Celsius or so by the fourth quarter. Winds Sunday will be from the west to northwest and are expected to be light to moderate. Mosaic stadium has a tendency to funnel winds meaning they could be locally higher in the stands. This will result in wind chill values near minus 10 Celsius initially and minus 15 or so towards the end of the game. As the wind chill may be a factor, a warm bomber jacket or eskimo attire would seem a good idea. Sunny skies will begin the day and skies will remain clear with no real hint of precipitation. Considering how cold it could be, most should be happy as an alouette (lark) come Sunday.

Please monitor the latest forecasts from Environment Canada at www.weatheroffice.gc.ca

Brick

So as an American who has bet on every Grey Cup since finding this forum, the question is...what side (or total) am I taking for the big game?...:biggrin:

Lots of great info in the thread.

enjoy the game everyone.

CanadianCoates

Already in on Ticats +7 bought the hook but I think the game will be close. Hoping so anyway.
Still not sure on the total. I'll have some props and other stuff later on.